First Parish Bedford UU

Join us on Sunday morning!

Worship Service & Religious Ed. Program at 10:00am

Bedford Lyceum at 9:00am most Sundays

Our entire building is accessible –
use the elevator at the Elm St. entrance


Home About Us Heritage
Early History

The Town of Bedford was created in 1729 because the residents of this area found that the journey to church in Concord or Billerica was too long and arduous. Their petition requesting permission to form their own church included this lament, "In the extreme difficult seasons of heat and cold we were ready to say of the Sabbath, 'Behold, what a weariness is it.'" Thus, the First Parish in Bedford was established. The original meetinghouse, badly damaged in the "great gale" of Sept. 1815, was replaced by the present building in 1817.

Young People's Religious Union

Order of service from the meeting of the South Middlesex Federation of Young People's Religious Unions at the First Congregational Unitarian Church, Bedford, Mass., May 7, 1905.

OPEN HOUSE in Old Bedford, 1952

alt This drawing was on the cover of a brochure for a townwide old house tour on Saturday, October 4, 1952 from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M. The event included an "Afternoon Tea with Old-Fashioned Cookies" served in the Church Parlor and was sponsored by First Parish Church.

Historical Objects



altThe pair of pews in the rear of the sanctuary are said to have been used in the first meetinghouse. One has 1728 carved on its back.

Steeple Clock & Bell Weights

The First Parish of Bedford is proud of its historic Steeple Clock.

The Steeple and Belfry

The First Parish in Bedford is proud of its historic bell and belltower.

Ministers of First Parish Bedford

The First Parish in Bedford has had 32 senior ministers since 1730, including Loren B. MacDonald and minister emeritus Jack Mendelsohn.



75 Great Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
(781) 275-7994
Office hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm
Contact our office
Contact the webmaster

Get Directions

Site Credits

© 2009 First Parish Bedford UU.
All Rights Reserved.
Site map
Designed by Revoluution Media.
Photography by Carlton SooHoo.

Registered Users