The First Parish Discussion and Announcement Lists have been established by First Parish as a vehicle for communication within the First Parish community. The Discussion List is intended as a means of promoting the discussion of issues of general interest to the First Parish community; the Announcement List is intended to facilitate announcement of news and events of general interest to the community.
Generally a post to the announcement list is one that does not seek a response (except for example, an RSVP); a post to the discussion list does. A message should never be posted to both lists.
Since not all parishioners have access to e-mail, the announcement list should be considered a supplement, not an alternative, to the church newsletter.
Subscription to the list is open to all. In addition to providing an e-mail address, subscribers must identify themselves by name. Participation in the lists is a privilege and not a right.
These lists are un-moderated, however the Parish Board and/or the Chairperson of the Parish Board reserves the right to appoint a moderator to moderate the lists for a set or an indefinite period when in their discretion such action is warranted.
When a moderator is appointed, the function of the moderator shall be, to the fullest extent possible, to pass on all communications to the lists so long as they comply with the guidelines set forth below.
The Parish Board may from time to time appoint three list monitors whose function will be to review postings to the list for compliance with these guidelines, to receive complaints from list members, and to remind list contributors of these guidelines in an appropriate manner when they deem necessary.
First Parish neither endorses the contents of any list users' communications nor assumes responsibility for any offensive material contained in them, nor any infringement of third party intellectual property rights arising from them. When you subscribe to a list, you agree to indemnify and hold First Parish and its officers and employees harmless from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of the use of the First Parish Discussion and Announcement List services.
Reflecting Our Values
Any post to either list should be consistent with the seven principles espoused by the UUA:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Participants in each list should:
- Speak and write openly, honestly and respectfully with clarity, tact and compassion.
- Listen carefully, with an open mind and heart, to what others say.
- Take responsibility for our speech and actions especially in so far as they affect both individuals and the congregation as a whole.
- Be sensitive to possible conflicts, and be willing to work toward solutions while recognizing that some differences may not be resolvable.
- Respect our own boundaries and the boundaries of others and protect and support vulnerable individuals.
- Respect and support diversity, and work to create a welcoming environment.
The discussion list should not be used for commercial solicitations. Commercial solicitations posted to the announcement list should be kept to a minimum and be directly related to the First Parish Community, such as FP teenagers looking for occasional work during school vacations, or a FPer who knows of a job opening that might interest someone in the community. Please consider making a donation to First Parish if you sell items as a result of posting on our lists.
Before hitting "send," read your entire message from beginning to end. For a simple announcement, this will often reveal a typo or two. For a passionate response to a discussion thread, this will allow you to reconsider your words from the point of view of the reader before sending them.
- If you modify your message after reading it, read it from beginning to end again.
- After reading your message, make sure to read the "To" field to ensure that a response that you intended to send to an individual is not sent to the entire list (or vice-versa).
- Messages should consist of plain text only (no html).
- Messages should not contain attached files.
- Message posters should identify themselves by first and last name in the message.
- Messages should have an informational subject line.
- Responses should quote the relevant portions of the message being responded to.
- Chain letters and virus alerts should not be posted to the group. (Virus alerts received via unsolicited email are almost always fictitious).
If you have a complaint about the messages on these lists, contact the one of the list monitors, a member of the Parish Board or the Parish Board Chairperson.